Q. How can I be kept informed of a engagement once its closed?
What is Community Engagement?
Community Engagement is a process not an outcome. It's a two-way mechanism by which the community participates by providing input for Council's consideration in decision making.
For the City of Holdfast Bay's consultation intiatives, Community Engagement can be defined as:
Any process that involves the community in problem solving, evaluation or decision making and considers public input to make decisions.
Effective engagement offers Council a wide range of benefits including:
- Ensures Council is fully informed, understand and considers the full impact of decisions.
- Helps Council to identify and explore the needs of the community, plan for services and infrastructure and, as a result, make better informed, more accepted and sustainable decisions to better meet community needs and aspirations.
- Enhances efficiency and effectiveness as community participation highlights concerns, priorities, focus areas and risks and, in deliberation, ensures Council implements actions in a way that anticipates and mitigates potential challenges and risks.
- Strengthens the connection and relationship between the community and its Council representatives.
- Encourages a sense of belonging, place, community spirit and pride, which increases the desirability of the City of Holdfast Bay as a place to live, work and play.
- Facilitates the building of local networks and encourages people to participate in civic life with a greater understanding of the role and operation of local government.
- Ideally, it makes tough, unpopular or divided decisions more sustainable by creating due process, integrity and transparency, acknowledging that not everyone is going to be completely happy or satisfied all of the time.
- Allows for a broader range of views to be expressed and considered prior to making decisions.
- Provides opportunties for community members to contribute to and influence outcomes that directly affect their lives.
What is Your View Holdfast?
Your View Holdfast is an online engagement tool which provides an opportunity for the community to be more involved in engagements that will guide the City of Holdfast Bay and enhance its understanding of areas of interest and issues important to the community.
The online forum will better assist the community in providing feedback to Council on a topics and matters that relate to a wide variety of areas, such as:
- Projects and Initiatives
- The Environment
- Social Issues
- Economic Issues
- Facilities and Intrastructure
- Future Opportunities and Directions
- Council Services
Participants are asked to contribute to online discussions and surveys and will have access to detailled information such as maps, drawings, concept briefs and images. These will be available in the related documents section of each project page.
How Can I Participate?
Simply click on the SIGN UP tab at the top right hand of the page, when prompted create a USERNAME (Note: your comments will appear under your user name and you can comment anonymously through a username of your choice) create a PASSWORD of your choice, provide a valid email address, your age, gender and the location in which you live as well as your key topics of interest.
What happens to my feedback?
When each engagement is complete, all contribitions are compiled into a report, which will be presented to Council when considering the particular matter. A copy of the report will also be posted on Your View Holdfast for reference, removing any identification.
Please note that all feedback provide during consutlation will be considered, however this does not mean that every suggestion will be taken on board and adopted as proposed.
How does Community Engagement link to Council's Strategic Plan?
Council has a strategic plan which outlines the key objectives and priorites for the City of Holdfast Bay for the next 3 years.
Community engagement is given the highest priority and Council is committed to ensuring the community are involved and consulted when determining the types and levels of services that Council delivers.
In particular, Council has a commitment to:
- Better inform our community of the range and nature of services that we deliver;
- Encourage greater community involvement in determining the types and levels of services that we deliver;
- Explore consultation methods to enhance community engagement and participation; and
- Promote aspects of our City that 'sets us apart' from others and market the appeal of our seaside location.
How is the Site Moderated?
All moderation is carried out by Bang the Table and is independent of the City of Holdfast Bay. The moderators do not edit or alter any comments and will only remove comments deemed to be significantly off topic, offensive or malicious, in which case they are removed form the site immediately. Refer to the guidelines at the 'Moderation' tab in the menu bar at the bottom of the page.
Who Can I Contact About Your View Holdfast?
The content on Your View Holdfast is managed by the City of Holdfast Bay's Community Engagement Unit. If you have any questions about content, or Council's consultation and engagement, please contact us by calling 8229 9999 or email email@example.com